PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post PPL confidence
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2015, 22:45
150 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my ticket just over a couple of years ago, and still experience those feelings. Fortunately the worries become less over time although I doubt they will ever completely disappear (in fact, that is probably a good thing)

I've flown about 150 hours since qualifying, got my IMC/IRR, and still count myself very much as a novice. One of my pet hates, though, is having a pilot in the right seat. I'll quite happily fly with almost anyone as a passenger and deal with whatever crops up (so far safely, fingers crossed and all that ) But put someone in the right seat who I know knows what they are doing and subconsciously there is then a get out if the going gets tough. (I know legally there isn't, I am PIC, but you can't always help the subconscious).

Currency is everything, especially in the early stages. I've had two periods where I haven't flown for a month or more and really worried about the first flight afterwards.

I try at the end of each flight to analyse what I didn't do well and what I could have done better and learn from those. I haven't yet had a flight where I've been able to say 'that was perfect, nothing to learn'. I suspect I never will.

The other problem that I suffered from early on, was finding a reverse of pressonitis, finding an excuse not to fly. This has ranged from 'diary too full' to 'maybe the weather will close in (despite clear blue sky and forecast nothing but)' to (admittedly an extreme one) 'student just crashed a plane on landing, conditions must be awful'. The way I got round this was to set aside a day in the diary and then justify to myself in writing why it wasn't suitable to fly.

I've sometimes wondered why I never felt this way about driving, the answer is that like most people I passed that test at 17 and was invincible/immortal at that age.