PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last QF 767 passenger revenue flights December 27, 2014
Old 6th Jan 2015, 20:36
Wunwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austral.
I didnt say that B767 accident was a result of a "missing" FE or an SG calculation.

What is was a result of was the failure of the operator to properly understand the many documented and undocumented roles of the 3rd crew member when the operator transitioned from DC8s and B727s to B767s.As a result, the crew of that aircraft made mistakes due to a lack of understanding of what they were doing with the particular engineering problem that they were presented with. It is hard to come to any other conclusion than they were not properly trained in their new roles as a 2 crew operator

As an FE one of my roles was to be very familiar with the DDG/MEL book which from the accident report that crew wasn't or they would never have left the ground on either occasion.

Another role was working the fuel sheet which at least one on this thread has denigrated as unneccessary.We were quite used to having two fuel pumpers on a B747 with different fuel measurements ie US Gals and Imperial Gals or litres. We also regularly used the dipsticks and certaily in the case of this aircraft situation we would have backed up our load calcs with a stick check. For sure the "30 second" fuel sheet would not be of much use.

Overall I would be very surprised if any FE would have ended up at Gimli.

As I said earlier this is not the thread for this discussion and I fail to see how a thread on B767 ended up knocking the QF B747 FEs.The QF FEs never wanted an FE on the B767 and it was a major reason for their split from the AAFEA to AIFEA (and ultimately to AIPA) at the time of the B767 arrival.

Wunwing

Last edited by Wunwing; 6th Jan 2015 at 20:53.