PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last QF 767 passenger revenue flights December 27, 2014
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 02:43
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there at Boeing when the Ansett 767s were being built, it was odd as they were built the same as all the others but once they exited the factory they went back in again to be converted to 3 man configuration.
This makes sense because they were eventually converted back to two crew configuration. I believe that VH-RMD was the most time consuming to do. This could have had something to do with the fact that it was the first one delivered & the others had the wiring in place to move the system's switch units back to the overhead panel.

that the primary change going from the 3 crew to 2 crew 767 was the incorporation of EICAS (Engine Indication and Crew Alert System)
This fits too, as the Ansett aircraft all had EICAS. You will notice the screen on the F/E's panel in the photo. If I remember correctly, the EICAS messages displayed on the forward panel as well as the F/E's panel. It would seem that all 767's were built for a 2 man operation, but Boeing converted the Ansett ones to a 3 man configuration before delivery. I do remember reading that there was one other 767 built in a 3 man configuration besides the original 5 for Ansett, but I don't know what the background is for that aircraft.

little known fact too (I think) while waiting to be converted one of them was sabotaged, quite a lot of damage, mainly to wiring.
I have heard this as well. I think it might have been RMD.