PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 1st Jan 2015, 08:56
SkyStalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AHT/Crew hov

Hi guys,

Happy New Year all!

Crab - having done ejectee jobs from RAF Sea Kings, and S-92s (as a WinchMan) I can say from experience, the service provided from an AHRS based 'V-HOLD' with Pilot flying in a 200' hover is as good, if not better than than doing the same thing on AHT in a SeaKing. I've also operated both sytems as a WinchOp. The lag that you talk about by having the Pilot make the inputs is insignificant in practice. What kind of target are you talking about that is moving so rapidly that these fractions of a second are going to make such a difference to the service provided? Don't forget WinchOps can anticipate and give directions early if they feel the required inputs are being made too slowly by the Pilot. But as I said, this is insignificant in practise, and never enough to make crew hov a better option.

Also, in response to 'I have grave concerns about their motivation to go that extra mile beyond the minimum spec in the contract'

- Don't be concerned. I will alway go the extra mile and risk my arse as much as is required on a job (as I'm sure any of my fellow civvy rearcrew will also). But during training and with only the same amount of sick pay as an office worker, I won't take any risks.