PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 29th Dec 2014, 16:25
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Snakepit,

I might be missing your point because of some obtuse reverse logic of yours but you certainly are missing mine. I replied to your post because your "facts" are wrong. There is no point trying to discuss whether a benefit should be transferred under TUPE when that benefit never actually existed in the first place.

The military don't get the benefit of "free" housing. They pay rent like everyone else. A rent is paid to some formula based on the average paid for civilian owned property of similar standing. This is so personnel neither gain nor lose out because of the vagaries of the military posting system and different rents charged in different areas.

Dental treatment was, and probably still is, given on base because poor dental care has always been regarded as a potential flight safety issue for aircrew and getting registered at a civilian practice can be difficult for people who move to different locations at very short notice. Getting emergency treatment at short notice can be impossible.

There was a boarding school allowance in my time in the service, and no doubt still is, but as far as I'm aware, it certainly didn't ever cover the full cost of the fees. The reason for this allowance was to allow the children of serving military personnel to have some stability in their education, while their parents were moved to different parts of the world at ever decreasing intervals. I never actually claimed the latter; the only time I did was as a civilian, in later life. In retrospect I perhaps should have, because my son had been in eight different schools by the time he got as far as taking his GCSE exams at the age of fourteen. For civilian employees living with better family stability, it's not such an issue.