PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greater equality or papering over the cracks?
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 13:15
Mr C Hinecap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Would the RAF want its jets serviced by someone who could pass a screwdriver turning tick test, but who had cognitive skills when it came to understanding the servicing manual or putting together complex engineering solutions?
What are you on about? The Armed Forces sets it's entry requirements for each Trade and Branch, then tests and trains accordingly. I don't care what gender anyone is if they can pass the requisite tests. We're not talking about allowing simians to serve, we're talking about human beings. I'd not want an infanteer fixing a jet but that has nothing to do with anything.

2. Have you considered the additional ingrained decision making pressures on local commanders when working out their combat appreciations, if women were also factored in and involved? Please evidence either way.
They have been doing this for the last decade in Iraq and Afghanistan and those local commanders have coped with both girls and boys. If you want to discuss pressures upon local commanders, then look at the complexity of non-integrated systems and sensors and their effect upon decision-making. THEN you might begin to understand the context and how low down the thought process gender is.

3. Have you considered the impact on our men when coerced as prisoners, faced with the threat of mutilating or beheading a female prisoner if they failed to co-operate? Once again, please evidence.
No difference whether it would be male or female. Formed units are cohesive because of the camaraderie. Your rather disturbing female mutilation scenario would be equally distressing it it were your best mate.

4. How will you address the emotional dynamic of the team set up deployed and ensure that the undeniably carnal desires of young, fit people don't upset the apple cart.

Don't judge all people by your standards. All other mixed gender teams in the Forces cope with such 'desires' and they get along. You do know that women serve in the RAF these days don't you? We don't deploy the WRAF to a nearby base then ship the ladies in under the supervision of a matronly WRAF WO so they can work near 'the boys'.