PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greater equality or papering over the cracks?
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 11:03
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a thought before we open Pandora's box and instigate something we will find difficult if not impossible to undo later down the line.

The studies have been conducted and the jury is out making it's deliberations. Before taking the final step, let's have a trial period, say 2 years, where all the fitness tests are absolutely identical for both male and female. No adjustments to make them gender fair. Everybody achieves the standard required for a set age bracket regardless of gender. That should give us ample evidence as to whether females really are capable of meeting the physical standards rather than simply quoting studies and psychologists. Last fitness test I did before I deployed saw a RN female trudging up and down the gym alongside me. I had to get to 9-something IIRC to pass and was still at a light jog when she dropped out at level 4 in a wheezing slobbering lump.

I'm sure she isn't representative of the whole female cadre, but you get my point. Equality means just that. Equal in everything. So let's start with fitness tests to give us a decent cohort size to allow females to demonstrate that they can meet a set standard without gender bias. Last time I checked, the weight of a rifle + 120 rounds was the same regardless of sex. Conducting a practical experiment across the Forces should also leave a bit of wriggle room should the policy types have got it wrong and need to u-turn. Not that they would get it wrong or make a decision for the wrong reason.