PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2014, 11:09
OBK!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Permafrost, sorry to hear you didn't get through the sim.

Perhaps you could have used PM to figure out the time? I think that was the capacity/CRM test, although there's nothing unsafe about what you did, there can be times when you can take workload management a bit overboard. Keeping ATC waiting on an estimate for longer than 30 seconds isn't necessarily a NOTECHs skill. Though not being rushed in to a non precision approach due to smoke in the cabin maybe.

Manually flying a SID during flap retraction while entering cloud in freezing conditions and updating the MCP/FCU etc...would you tell ATC to standby as a matter of routine if they gave you a frequency change plus heading change (for example) or asked you if you could make FLxxx by point X during this high workload situation? We're talking London TMA here also. (I know that the autopilot would go in if it got very busy). It's not too disimilar to a normal day operating out of Heathrow. Add to that some CB's in the TMA and traffic in the holds, and the 767 autopilots appalling handling of the flap retraction at high weights (hence manually flying...I'm aware the 747 is used in the sim test) Good teamwork makes it quite manageable.

Good luck to all with applications. Notechs is definitely the key but I think demonstration of them rather then being overly overly cautious maybe the idea. I could be wrong however and might have slipped through the net when I had my sim test, but the trainer seemed to think me and sim partner handled situations quite well. We did get the estimate question and used the flight plan they gave us (cumulative time plus airborne time) as an estimate.