PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 20th Dec 2014, 12:14
603DX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm another potential purchaser of the T31 kit, having blissfully risked my young neck on my solos back in 1957, happy memories!

But CharlieOneSix,in his excellent Solent Sky photo above, also captured an example of the Eon Primary glider suspended behind the T31. Now that Eon really terrified me, back then! We had one for use on the school field on CCF afternoons, launched down the slope towards the main school buildings by the usual V-shaped rubber bungee ropes. Having just returned from my gliding course at Halton, our officer insisted that I "show the lads how to do it". And I was reluctantly strapped onto that fully exposed flimsy seat at the front, while my classmates sneakily gave about 50% more stretch to the bungees than they were instructed to provide.

Twice before, our Eon had to be returned to the RAF for repairs after hitting the school buildings (fortunately without injury to the unfortunate victims), so my pulse rate went up to astronomic levels, and with stick hard forward my whizz-bang catapulted "flight" never left the ground. The long groove cut by the skid in the muddy grass took a long time for the groundsman to restore to its former green glory ...