PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Observers
Thread: RAF Observers
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2014, 00:19
BBadanov

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
In the 1950's and 60's it was not unusual to see aircrew of more advanced years sporting the 'O' brevet. I assumed it was because they were proud of having qualified as an Observer and wanted nothing to do with any new fangled 'N' brevet.

I bet there are are some WSO's who have declined the new badge and continue to wear their 'N' and 'AE' brevets. Same thing, really.

Meanwhile, out in the Empire...
The RAAF changed last decade from "Nav" to the "ACO" (air combat officer) category.
The wing changed from "N" to a double wing - same shape as a pilot's, but with the Southern Cross stars in the centre (designed by nav John M---r).

This was to catch up with the RCAF (which brought in the double wing in about the 1960s, with a globe of the earth in the centre). And the Yanks have always had double wings. Actually, the real reason the RAAF changed was for PR and try and make the job more attractive for recruiting.

The ACO category also brought in the Fighter Controllers !!! WTF I hear you say. I would rather see them labelled "FC", but not only did it bring in the flying AEW type chaps, it also included ground-based FCs !!
So a chap (or chapesse) might never have stepped into an aircraft, but was awarded wings!

So it was one step forward, three mighty steps for mankind backwards...