PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Housekeeping an ageing Compaq Presario
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2014, 17:34
Cameronian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Housekeeping an ageing Compaq Presario

SWMBO has Compaq Presario V6000 of pensionable age. A gift from her father, she's reluctant to call in the knacker for now. In a reversal of rôles, the housekeeping has fallen to me. The said housekeeping seems to be a fairly drawn out weekly struggle and I just wonder if I am doing things in the most efficient order.

First the spec.:-

Compaq Presario V6000
Vista Home Basic
Pentium T2060 1.6 GHz.
2.00 GB RAM
111 GB HDD

Here's the weekly process:-

Update Spybot and immunise - 20 minutes.
Update Malwarebytes and scan (which takes an Hour or more).
Run Revouninstall for junk files - due to HDD space neurosis - taking half an hour.
CrapCleaner clean and registry scan (sorry, mixture!) - another half an hour for the clean.
Defragment with Defraggler which takes ages (four hours plus) and always behaves oddly - very differently from XP and 7. At the start there's about 24 GB free space. This gradually drops to 15-ish and sometimes even to 8 GB before climbing to about 36 GB at the end.
MozyBackups are done automatically on the fly and I only occasionally use Windows Backup as well to an external drive because this takes six hours or more....

The machine does work better after all of this but slows down gradually as the week goes by until the next fix. I do things this way round because I thought it best to tidy up as best possible to get the best result from the defrag but all of the earlier steps require me to be sitting nearby for more than two hours to progress things manually whereas I leave the bloody thing to stew for the defrag. If I do the defrag first (overnight perhaps - and could I reasonably do the external backup at the same time or would they cock each other up?) would the more hands-on security stuff happen significantly faster once the drive has been defragged and so save me a lot of thumb twiddling?

I know she should get a new one but she won't. Perhaps she might be persuaded when Windows 10 has been running for a while...