PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "USA Today" article about A-300 rudder problems?
Old 29th May 2003, 09:46
PlaneTruth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix X,

That is a bummer. You would expect as a pilot (I sure do) that the available flight controls should be capable of operation necessary to recover the aircraft (at least a reduced departure airspeed) --and not damage anything. My overriding question is: Why did these guys get on the rudder in the first place? I have encountered many wake situations and the aircraft has never yawed appreciably enough to warrant counter rudder application.

One note: I understand the AirBus rudder is alll composite unlike other vert stabs (Boeing for example) who have a metal spar to tie structural loads into the attach point. This AirBus design relied on metalic attach points but the majority of the structure is composite.

I have never had good luck trying to glue metal to plastic.

PT

PS I understand the original A-300 design was a Boeing concept that was canned. The design team leader decided it was such a good design, he defected with plans to AirBus. This from a former Boeing engineer.