PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "USA Today" article about A-300 rudder problems?
Old 29th May 2003, 01:33
Anthony Carn

Fin design.

If I interpret the article correctly, it is saying that if a pilot uses incorrect flight techniques which exceed the certified/design loads of a fin, then the fin will be structurally damaged and may even break off. The fin did it's job by remaining structurally intact until it's design limit was exceeded. There is nothing wrong with the fin, therefore.

Stating the obvious, is'nt it ? Just like saying that a car engine has a rev limit of 7000 rpm, and being surprised that it then blows up when a driver exceeds 7000 rpm. Why should it be a surprise. Imagine the headlines "Engine blows up. Engine weakness found ! Engine a danger to road users !"

Flight techniques.

As I read the article, Airbus issued a reminder regarding unsafe flight techniques. That such techniques are unsafe was known to me when I started flying commercial aircraft over twenty years ago. Why, then, blame them if it's eventually proven that the same unsafe flight techniques caused the New York incident ?

It all seems ridiculously simple to me !