PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 21:21
EK77WNCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSR2, I think I agree with you too, it's not the one I want to see, I want to see 3 but as you went on to say, unlikely any of them have the capacity to realise what is best, especially when it comes to the north, the only think I credit Miliband for, saying he will protect North East Airports - In the unlikely event he keeps his word I'd like to see him in charge and see regional devolution take place, I think we can look after ourselves better than they can... Might have to get the local ex MEP (now lord) over for a chat...

And anecdotally, I know people who've traveled ridiculously far for deals (including myself)
- Next year I'm wanting to go to visit FTE Jerez, we could fly NCL-AGP or NCL-STN-XRY, but it's my mam's opinion that driving to STN would be cheaper and the better option (I shall contest this)
- This year my aunty, uncle and grandparents went on holiday to Lanzarote, they drove from Gateshead to LTN to fly FR.... Cheaper
- On the very same day, my cousin and her new husband drove down to Manchester the day after their wedding for their honeymoon to fly MAN-CIA, they live in Alnwick...
- The same aunty and uncle have been to Lanzarote twice before, flown from NCL (LS) once and I believe the other time was LBA (FR)
- I went to London with my parents and flew EDI-LCY-EDI... People at school thought I was mental, but it was cheaper and more convenient
- Family holiday to Portugal a few years ago, the six of us flew MAN-LIS because TAP was cheaper than EZY from GLA or EDI, NCL never got a look in, I assume it's more convenient to have the 3 hour drive on the UK end than the Portugal end.
- Many years ago as a child I remember driving to EMA to go on holiday to the Algarve despite flights from NCL, I also remember the year before/after that, flying NCL-STN-FAO-STN-NCL because it was cheaper (all on EZY 737's )

I know there have been more occurrences too like my mam flying EMA-NBE for a last minute weekend away and our headteacher (who's a family friend) driving to STN for a school trip to Slovenia... Now, I know there's a lot there, quite a lot are isolated, there are a lot more where we've flown from NCL (even one family holiday from MME!!!), but unfortunately most of the time I had no say (except when I said to take a look at TAP :/ ) and most people never care about supporting their local airport and will go where it's cheaper.

While I'm on the subject, UA better get advertising connecting flights through EWR because I was speaking to another aunty who wants to go back to Las Vegas next year and when I said "oh you can use the new direct flight to New York" she said immediately "no, you wouldn't go through New York first anyway"... I wasn't brave enough to say "you could"

Last edited by EK77WNCL; 2nd Dec 2014 at 21:40.