PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "USA Today" article about A-300 rudder problems?
Old 28th May 2003, 18:12
Phoenix_X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not all that fair to blame Airbus. In both incidents the pilots used full alternating left and right rudder. Now I'm not at all saying I would never do thesame, however, authorities, including the FAA do not require the rudder to be able to withstand the associated forces.

Airbus designed their aircraft to meet those requirements, and they cannot be blamed for doing so. Sure they could make it stronger to make it safer, but hey, the safest option would be to stop producing the aircraft completely. No aircraft, no crash.

I wonder if swinging a B7X7 (where x=0-7) rudder left and right a few times would keep it in one piece.

If the FAA wanted to prevent this from happening, they shouldn't have allowed an aircrafts rudder to have more power than it can withstand. They should not blame an aircraft manufacturer for not telling them the rudder wasn't able to withstand what it's not required to withstand.

Having said that, ofcourse, sharing of information is of the highest importance, and there is no excuse for not fully publishing any report. Don't blame just Airbus though.