PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH17 down near Donetsk
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2014, 11:11
BATHIK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) I think if a radar quided missile would have come from left or right side, it would have aimed more towards the center of the plane and not flying before it's nose.

It could have aimed anywhere, at these speeds an error of one millisecond means about 10 m off the target point.

2) BUK missile does not throw shrapnel backwards, only sideways + missile speed giving forwards movement to the shrapnel. So, the damage on the LEFT side of the plane's nose is not possible if the missile comes from the right side.
For the airplane the shrapnel cloud would look like a cone spreading from maybe 15-20m above the plane and covering plane surface area about 8-10 m in diameter. I can easily imagine this cone covering top and left side of the cockpit and then striking left engine and wing, bypassing everything on the starboard side altogether.

.. it's 100% sure that the missile came from ahead.

This I just can't see, especially the damage to the left wing, about 25 m away from the cockpit, something clearly piercing it at an angle rather than coming from ahead. I'm sure you know the picture I'm talking about.