PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engined a/c Limitations
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2014, 08:57
Steevo25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an owner of a Jabiru Aircraft, I find it worrying on my part that I have to sort of agree with CASA. Although the design of the Jabiru engine should mean that it is bullet proof (not really much to go wrong), there were many design flaws from the start that Jabiru refused to acknowledge or address.

Instead what Jabiru did was sneak in changes to later builds of the engine but left owners of earlier engines with nothing but large bills. Their customer service has been atrocious with no support to owners that have had problems. Consequently, a lot of those older engines are now showing their age and I suspect failing. My engine was an earlier engine and I have had to spend significant amounts of money getting it 'up-to-date'. I have basically been paying for correcting the bad design that Jabiru did. Most of the parts I have chosen not to replace with Jabiru parts but rather CAMiT parts. Ironically, CAMiT manufacturer the engines for Jabiru but have recognised the problems and have made modified parts that cure them, but Jabiru still insist that CAMiT manufacturer their engines to Jabiru's design and do not incorporate those changes. Jabiru, however, have even released a letter from their CEO criticising owners for using any of these parts. Rodney Stiff released a letter that was not only condescending to owners but also stated that Jabiru knew best.

In short, Jabiru have had this coming for a long time. I am hoping that this will be a kick up the backside for them and there is only really 2 outcomes. Either Jabiru will start to take notice of owner's comments or they will sink and the engine will just become part of Australian history.

The unfortunate thing is that the Jabiru engine has the basis to become a very good, light and reliable engine and there is no reason it shouldn't be other than Jabiru's arrogance in responding to known problems.