PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR approach protocol in the UK
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2014, 14:55
flyme273

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I read the example is that scheduled flight A operating under IFR rules is shortly due to land at Dundee. A second flight B is a VFR Cessna/ Piper also inbound for Dundee.
Flight B encounters unexpected IMC conditions and with limited equipment and training requests an IFR approach from the Dundee Controller. Dundee is experiencing IMC. Dundee is equipped with an NDB and DMEand has a published approach to RW09.

The question is how does ATC ensure separation and a safe ending to both flights? (which I would suggest is more important than any legal issues of class G airspace). MSA 25nm is 4,500ft. MSA 10nm is 2,900ft.

It seems the suggestions I’ve made so far do not receive the approval of ALTP Mad Jock.
I don’t think anyone has made “an approved” suggestion.
-------
Can ATC give aclearance to climb? I would hope that ATC can at least make a recommendation to assist flight A and avoid a conflict either with high ground or flight B.
From the beacon the hold is to the east, i.e. aircraft A at3,000ft. The approach procedure is to the west, aircraft B at 4,000ft. both aircraft departing the beacon in opposite directions and with vertical separation. Nothing scary.

D4 Garmin, I’ve now checked the plate, flight B, the inbound turn is made at D8, 2,200ft (MSA at that part is 2,300ft).FAF is D6.7 when further decent is made.

I’m not familiar with operations at EGPN, does all IFR traffic actually take the hold and performs a full procedure with descend within the hold?
---------
Many years ago I departed Aberdeen in clear blue skies for across country to Perth, Dundee and return to Aberdeen in a Cessna 150. Dundee ATC was in those days a garden hut on the little used grass strip and normally unmanned.

Returning to Aberdeen by Montrose I was creeping up the coast at 800ft under a complete cloud cover (where had that sprung from?). I found the lighthouse and turned up the river and continued creeping up to Aberdeen at by now 600ft to make a passable landing.

The CFI was greatly relieved to see me. He had authorised the flight by first calling the Met office. Unknown to myself the Met office had called back during my flight to warn of the sudden unexpected weather change.

It was my first solo qualifying cross country (I passed). The CFI was still shaking 5 Glenmorangies later.

flyme.

Last edited by flyme273; 13th Nov 2014 at 15:26. Reason: missed word