PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2014, 09:38
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insuindi's comments help to highlight a problem for MAN. You've only to read some of the reviews on Skytrax to realise that not everyone is delighted with their experience of MAN. And while I accept that passengers with a complaint are more likely to post reviews than those with a decent , or at least acceptable, airport experience, the poor ratings - too many 0/10 - must be a cause for concern. It could also be argued that some folk can't be bothered to complain but will simply vote with their next flight ticket and use another airport.

That said, it would be wrong to write off MAN as not fit for purpose in my view. It may not be 5* but is probably ok for a good part of the time. However, it struggles at peak times of the day and at school holiday periods or late at night in arrivals when staff numbers are reduced. The structure within T1 and T3 is far from ideal, and likewise the lay-out of taxiways.

We hear there are plans afoot to build a new terminal to replace T1 and T3 which many would say was much needed and overdue. However, it would seem to me that MAG has a pretty big headache when it comes to planning for growth at MAN. There is the logistical nightmare of retaining existing operations let alone allowing for short term growth until new facilities are fully operational. Then build in the uncertainty regarding expansion of LHR and what it would mean for MAN. If a third runway is built in 8, 9, or 10 years time, would MAN still grow but at a slower rate than it would otherwise? Would a surge in connecting flights from other regional airports to LHR significantly affect MAN, and would some of our long haul services be replaced by more shuttles to LHR to fill up all those extra seats from the additional slots that would be available at London? And what would happen at MAN if the new runway was at LGW, or isn't built at all? Frankly, I haven't the faintest idea but I would suggest that this, together with the infrastructure issue, make planning for expected growth at MAN an extremely tricky exercise.

Is it just possible, and being devil's advocate here, that MAN may prefer to go for very modest or selective growth in the short term, even at the risk of perhaps losing some opportunities, until things become a little clearer? STN and LTN have been growing at over 10% recently. Could MAN really cope with that level of increase unless by some miracle it all happened at a time of the day when departures and arrivals were less busy? What short term, and not too expensive measures given the longer term investment required, could be taken to improve the present situation and handle extra activity in the terminals?

There are opportunities but certainly challenges for MAN and I'm sure we hope management will show sound judgement and come up with appropriate solutions.

Last edited by MANFOD; 11th Nov 2014 at 10:57.