PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I think I want to update my PC
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2014, 22:00
LookingForAJob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I want to update my PC

Despite offering advice or wisdom on IT things from time to time, which some people seem to value, I now seek a bit of advice from people who are familiar with the current crop of PC processors.

I am thinking that the time is nearing for the 2 to 3 yearly update to my computer! A few things are slowing down (okay, they're probably not slowing down but I'm finding waiting for them a little frustrating) and I feel like treating myself to a new toy.

I'm quite happy to build the thing myself but I am looking views on the current range of i7 processors.

I am considering one of the 47xx models to replace my current i7 920. I recognise that the current machine is no slouch and the only justification is to save a few seconds here and there and to have a new toy. If I do the update, the 920 already has a new home.

Does anyone have any experience with the 47xx processors? The performance graphs suggest a significant improvement in number crunching speed but I wonder how much benefit I would get for day-to-day work.

Routinely I am working with large graphics - both hi-res bitmaps and vectors, and large, sometimes very large, text-based documents, and some things do end up waiting for the processor to catch up.

Any comments or suggestions about motherboards (my preferred brand is Asus) or chipset also be gratefully received.