PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL/EASA/NPPL?????
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2014, 10:10
Flyer1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying 3 axis on EASA Licence

Hi Guys,

I am also awaiting a reply from the CAA regarding a similar issue.

I currently hold an EASA Licence with SEP and IR(R) ratings. In addition, I have undergone differences training for weightshift microlights earlier this year by a valid instructor and been signed off in my log book for it.

I have now purchased a three axis microlight and so am unclear on where I stand licence-wise now.........

I fully intend on carrying out difference training on it but does this have to be with a valid instructor or just someone with experience on type?

I have been researching the latest CAP 804 and found this:

Section 2 – Aircraft and instructor ratings which may be included in United Kingdom
aeroplane pilot’s Licences and National Private Pilot’s Licences (Aeroplanes)

1 The following ratings may be included in a United Kingdom aeroplane pilot licence or a
National Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) granted under Part 7, and, subject to the
provisions of this Order and of the licence, the inclusion of a rating in a licence has the
consequences specified as follows.

Microlight class rating
(1) Subject to paragraph (2) and to the conditions of the licence in which it is included,
a microlight class rating entitles the holder to act as pilot in command of any
microlight aeroplane.

(2) (a) If the current certificate of revalidation for the rating is endorsed “single seat
only” the holder is only entitled to act as pilot in command of any single seat
microlight aeroplane.

(b) (i) If the aeroplane has:
(aa) three axis controls and the holder’s previous training and experience
has only been in an aeroplane with flexwing/weightshift controls;

(bb) flexwing/weightshift controls and the holder’s previous training and
experience has only been in an aeroplane with three axis controls;

or

(cc) more than one engine,

before exercising the privileges of the rating the holder must complete
appropriate differences training.

From this, I take it to mean if going from GA to Flexwing Microlights then difference training is required (as previously carried out). However, looking at point (b) (i) (aa) and (bb) my past experience has not only been on weightshift, as the majority of my experience has been on cessna's, piper's, decathlon's, Tutor's, Vigilant's, etc and therefore 'official instructor' difference training is not required. Is this correct given the majority of my experience is on fixed wing aircraft all of which operate under the same principle of flight as the three axis microlight?

Reading all the recent legislation I would agree if I were to have solely trained on flexwing microlights then difference training is required to move to three axis. However, as i'm simply to fly the 3 axis under my EASA licence and microlight difference training (M) was carried out on a flexwing, is it legally necessary to undergo further training with an instructor?

My reasoning behind this is something like a Kitfox can either be group A or Microlight class. Therefore, should I buy one of these, surely I would be well within my licence parameters to fly it under group A? But if under Microlight grouping I would need instruction from an instructor? That cant be right... its the same aircraft just different grouping.

PERSONALLY what I am half expecting as a response from the CAA, unless they intend on rewriting a very costly procedure......

...... Is that, one can use the privileges of an EASA licence to fly microlight aircraft providing 'MICROLIGHT CLASS' differences training has been carried out by a qualified instructor (i.e. on flexwing or 3 axis), in accordance with ANO Article 62(6). Should you then wish to fly a three axis aeroplane (which by their own definition is - Engine-driven fixed-wing aircraft heavier than air which is supported in flight by the dynamic reaction of the air against its wings) having carried out Microlight differences training on a flexwing then difference training on the particular type of aircraft you intend on flying is ADVISED but does not necessarily have to be with an instructor.

Would anyone disagree?