PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we not require 1500 hours for a RHS job ?
Old 4th Nov 2014, 08:09
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been various private medical colleges, operating for profit, based in 3rd world countries, promising to accept virtually anyone, and turn students into medical doctors for a hefty fee. They tend to get shut down sooner or later, and their graduates find it impossible to get their credentials accepted. I'm not a fan of excessive bureaucracy, but maybe a little more oversight for pilot training would not hurt. Also...maybe some public funding for serious training institutions? Akin to public universities that train professionals like medical doctors, dentists, etc. A public university in Norway has a pilot training program, a 3 year degree, including "frozen" ATPL etc (but much less than 1500h). It's essentially free for participants, and there's scholarships to cover cost of living, yet selection is rigorous. I've yet to hear that these graduates have big problems finding a job....and I'd venture a guess that after rigorous selection, most of them have the "right stuff". A high quality subsidized training program, like some flag carriers' cadet training, military aviation, or this public university, can attract and select students that have "the right stuff", early on. This is vastly different from commercial schools that profit from accepting almost everyone, essentially postponing selection.