PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we not require 1500 hours for a RHS job ?
Old 4th Nov 2014, 01:30
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many airlines put guys with 250 hours on long haul? And if they do, how many pilot incapacitations they've had on these routes in the last two decades? And how many of them ended up tragically? They certainly aren't LCCs you mention (between the lines) in the first paragraph.
I didn't say there were any. Fair enough. I'm not banging the safe drum. They clearly think its safe. Just a point for a case I felt worth minor consideration. Anyway the main point I have always felt is trying to keep this as a career. It will be a career of sorts but will change rapidly I think in the next 10 years. Pay will stay the same, inflation will go up. More akin to a current 25-30k job. The command value will shrink, train drivers on freight earn 45k basic. It'll happen to command salaries. Why shouldnt it? There's not much to actually keep value, no safety issue, no supply problem. As mentioned the old days are history. There's no reason why VAA shouldn't recruit cadets as prime candidates and just top up with instant coffee trained pilots when short or expanding. It's annoying but what can you do.