PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do we not require 1500 hours for a RHS job ?
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 14:15
TypeIV

The problem nowadays is that after a decade of political green power movement insanity, very few GA opportunities remains. Air taxi is pretty much dead since the costs have gone through the roof.

Closure of minor airfields, imposing tax on avgas, making licensing, handling permissions, buraeucracy in generally has killed the whole GA-scene in Europe. The regional operators are now under the wings of larger carriers and even middle eastern owners, the good ole days when "hangar-Joe" let you fly for food is long gone.

Together with an explosion in new license holders selling their mothers for 10hrs of SEP the scenarios wished for in this thread are not possible anymore, without going to Africa or buying hours in the USA. I'm not very fond of the idea where fresh CPL-holders starts to instruct right after obtaining a license.

Ideally pilots would start off in the military, fly 10-15 different types of aircraft, get a phd in aeronatical engineering, enroll in the space-program and do some laps around earth outside the atmosphere, earn a Nobel prize and then goto the RHS of a turbo prop in the sahara and climb the MTOW-ladder once every 5000hrs and retire in a flag carrier but the reality doesn't allow this.

Imagine your line training captain on your first flight having a stroke or heart attack or otherwise gets incapacitated... and you have 160 pax in the back, 4 cabin crew, the weather is hovering at minimums, carrying a typical minimum fuel, you have to make a decision and they're all looking at you...
This is why you have a safety pilot for several weeks on the jump seat and you practice incapacitations dozens of times and you keep a good eye on the wx on the enroute alternates.

... and here you are, brand new CPL with a fresh type rating, never really flew in crappy weather outside the simulator, never dealt with ATC at this level.. really, at 200 hours, what do you really know?
You never flew in severe icing, 35kt gusty Xwinds or 200m of visibility in the C150 either. And if you did you should definately not be flying again

I disagree with that two years of farting around in the C150 would make a world of a difference when it comes to the quality of candidates.

Training and proper selection is much more important in my opinion.