PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2014, 09:08
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"So the Manchester Airport station would act as a parkway station for some areas of North Cheshire and South Manchester to access HS2 services as well as providing access to the Airport and Airport City. Of course Higgins is now proposing an HS2 station at Crewe which may reduce some of this demand.

It will be the airport's call whether the station is built as the finance for it will mostly be done locally"

Good point Suzeman about the possible impact of a new HS2 station at Crewe although I'm not clear on how classic trains, including local services, would link into HS2 for connections.

I think you're right about the financing of an airport station too.

If the HS2 station concept does move ahead, it will be interesting to see the method of transportation proposed for transfers to the terminals, which would be a not insignificant extra cost. The other aspect that might have a bearing is that MAN are allegedly planning a complete redevelopment of T1/T3 which would move the new terminal closer to the existing Station as I understand it and presumably would mean a major redesign of road lay-out. Mind you, the expected time scales are very different and terminal development will hopefully be happening some years ahead of any HS2 station.