PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying with another pilot who "handles" the controls
Old 29th Oct 2014, 22:23
Scoobster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying with another pilot who "handles" the controls

Many of you will have had more experienced pilots or buddies in the RHS (other than instructors) and who are also qualified pilots. Even though you are PIC..

I am interested in your thoughts or if you have experienced your friends/buddies/pilots handling controls - though they are not formal co-pilot.

You could be going to Calais or Oxford or Duxford or wherever takes your fancy! or coming back in the circuit...

Throughout the flight you notice your friend/buddy/all round nice guy make subtle control inputs.. like reduce the throttle by a 100rpm because they think you are flying to fast or apply rudder because they think you are not using enough rudder input etc. They are more experienced so you think.. "OK.. do I let this pass or have words.. or am I being arrogant"

Obviously you can learn a lot from another more experienced aviator.. However, am I wrong in saying this is probably better suited to if you back seat with them?

You let the subtle input's slide because they are "more experienced" but conscious if you should say something (although they are a higher license holder).

They notice an aircraft ahead... and say ... Make the radio call like ABC, though you do what your instructor said and as per your training. The intentions are good but would it be fair to say may be off putting?

and finally you pipe up and say .. "I am in command... in a professional and friendly manner"

Have you experienced this before? And how does one or should one deal with this?

In a formal setting I believe this may be referred to as MCC.. but way beyond my scope of knowledge at this humble stage.

Curiosity killed the cat..

Scoobster.

Last edited by Scoobster; 29th Oct 2014 at 22:38.