PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO IR to JAA IR - sensible idea?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2003, 22:05
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

If you get your Multi IR issued by Aerofan you will have completed the test on a Spanish Reg a/c and therfore have to have the country of issue changed to work for a UK airline. This will cost you a little more cash. I believe £165 per item.

You are correct to say that there is more hassle and orgainzation to have in going to SA but there is also more fun to be had than in the states (personality depenant)

Flights to SA can be found for £350 if you look at airlines other than BA. I went with Emirates for £380 admittedly this was via Dubai (but hey the duty free is worth the extra few hours)

As for test fees I did not mention them cos they are so small. The SA do a combined CPL Mulit IR test. It takes 2hrs and you have to pay the pricely sum of £85 for the test plus solo ac hire. So not quite the CAA £607(which of cse you have to pay when you convert your licence later)

As you have said I was under the impression that you were arguing the pros and cons of doing and ICAO licence conversion against straight into JAA in UK but that aside you do not seem to have noticed that my prices include 155hours of hour building!

This is fairly significant. Your prices only account for a CPL module and and IR course. If you start from PPL with 45 hours you will still need to build those hours somewhere. Your price of £9274 includes 50hr IR cse and 25 hrs CPL module. However under JAR you cannot start the CPL moidule until you have 150hrs. You can however add the IR to your PPL but will then need to do a 55hr IR which in turn leads to a 20hr CPL module. Either way you still need to get from 45hours to 150 hours so that is where the saving is.

Does this prove you wrong or have I missed something.

VT