PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Needless steep departures
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2014, 08:41
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OP said "an aircraft takeoff from a runway with lots of room, and no obstacles. Just after leaving the ground, he pulled up logarithmically, and climb steeply until the inevitable point where the nose had to be lowered very noticeably. "

I suspect he would say that about my standard takeoff. Lets have a look why, consider the alternative and perhaps some other interesting points. The numbers are specific to my aircraft but I suspect the view from the ground would be similar in many modern similarly equipped aircraft.

The aircraft is equipped with slotted electric flaps with a limiting speed of 84kn and it has an electric CS prop which is set to auto for takeoff. T/O flap is 17.5deg and the stall speed in this configuration is 47kn. Max power is limited to 5 min. Normal approach is 60kn with full flap (stall 42kn).

Ground roll on short dry grass will be just under 200m, acceleration will be brisk. I will hold her down for a second in ground effect (just like a cable launch) then rotate into a very steep climb at 80kn - just over 1700fpm. We are now 4 kn under the flap limiting speed and well above stall speed. View from the ground is of a very steep climb angle (for an SEP).

It will soon be time to ditch the t/o flap. The slotted flaps will spill a lot of lift at this point and the view from the ground is quite odd - you can almost see the op shaking his head. As the flaps come up the stall speed rises to 52kn but along with losing lift we are losing drag and the prop is still in auto, the result is very rapid acceleration and as the airspeed passes 90kn it is time to rotate again and maintain 100kn and 1000pfm. The angle will again look steep but not as extreme as it did with t/o flap.

The aircraft has relatively little inertia. I have run quite a few tests at altitude and practice from time to time. The OP says you will lose a lot of height but this is not the case. With the aircraft set up with t/o flap and 80kn the guy in the right hand seat closes the throttle (stops me cheating). The nose is lowered immediately to the best glide angle, the speed stabilizes at 70kn and you go from there. The response has to be around the same timing as on a cable brake but not as aggressive. If the response is delayed the speed bleeds quickly and you have to lower the nose well past the optimum angel but you have to start pulling out almost immediately or you will exceed flap limiting speed. Hight loss is still quite small.

The same drill done clean at 100kn allows a delayed response with the angle set to give 75kn. As a slight aside if the engine stops in straight and level flight the nose can be raised till the speed bleeds back to 85kn then lowered to give 75kn, this manoeuvre will give a gain in height of over 500ft!

It is of course possible to do a much more conventional looking takoff. I sometime do a formation takeoff with some friends in there Luscombe aircraft. I let the other aircraft get moving first then apply a burst of power to get airborne then throttle right back and slot in. I am now sat at 65kn doing 350fpm and the trees look a lot bigger but the view of classic 1940's tec is worth it now and again.

Rod1