PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ascent UK MFTS
Thread: Ascent UK MFTS
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2014, 13:59
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Ascent UK MFTS

BEagle and Shackman.
Just a quick question if I may. When did you last set foot inside the perimeter of RAF valley?
It is very easy to throw spears at Ascent (God knows I have in the past) but unless you've actually seen the recent set up and experienced the Hawk T2 process (I realise that comes across as business speak but we do live in the 21st century) then you are in danger of coming across as a little out of touch to put it mildly.
I am not particularly au fait with the rationale behind the latest aircraft choices but I take issue with one of BEagles points again. UAE is using PC21 in place of a jet trainer. Whilst I am not entirely convinced by that progression I don't think you need to spend the money required to have a PC21 and a Hawk. T6 should be just fine.
Shackman you are underestimating the rest of the world. Despite any reservations we may have the set up at Valley is very much admired. Saudi have already made moves to copy it and Canada and even the USA have commented on its desirability as a concept.
Finally despite all of the above, it will still be military or ex military pilots flying the jets and the CFS ethos will continue. Just not in the way it did in 1972 (or any other date you choose to name).
I lose count of the number of times I have said this but guess what gents. Time moves on. Since the dawn of aviation guys will have been saying 'it's not the way it was in my day'. You have some valid points but approaching it like the old gits on Harry Enfield just winds people up.
BV