PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skills test before solo ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 08:12
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually read the question a bit different the first time I read it, and then after all the responses realised the error in my ways, and possibly the error in the wording of the question.

I realise that the question does ask if it's legal, and it does seem to be specifically, can you do the skills test prior to solo, and seems to imply with an examiner, and that it would satisfy the requirements for a PPL. Which is not possible or legal.

However, when I first read the question, I "jumped to the conclusion" that this was from a new student pilot who was nervous about first solo, or a new instructor who is nervous about sending someone out on their first solo. (if it's a new instructor, s/he needs to review some things, starting with the answers already posted)

Assuming that this question is from a new student, or a prospective student, then I'm going to answer the question this way:

Clearly, the instructor, or another instructor at the same school could review the student on all the skills required for SOLO flight. But in order for a student to have all the required training to complete the skills test, which has far more requirements than that required to solo, the student must fly some hours solo.

For example, there is no requirement for a student to be able to navigate cross country in order to fly solo, but it is required for the skills test. Another example is that to fly solo, the student should be flying completely VFR, but to pass the skills test you have to have some time "under the hood" flying on instruments.

Since your instructor will only send you on your first solo after you've proven to him/her that you're capable of flying a circuit (pattern), then you have, actually passed a "skills test" for all that is required for your first solo.

If you're not comfortable with flying solo, and it's not a case of just being a bit nervous, we are all nervous on our first solo, that's why most instructors won't tell you before the actual solo, but just get out one day and say something like "make 3 circuits, full stop, I'll be on the radio, see you in 20 minutes". If you're not comfortable, at that point, then tell your instructor, s/he will understand, and work with you on whatever you're not comfortable about.

Last edited by darkroomsource; 23rd Oct 2014 at 08:13. Reason: spelling (but I might not have caught all the mistrakes)