PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 07:48
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is that the days of 'let's have a look around and if we like the cut of yer Jib we'll give you the job nod from the Chief Pilot' have long gone.

Day 1 is primarily sorted out by 'Da Computer' with little input from mere humans except in the group discussion exercises. Personally I do not know what score percentage these carry to the final pass/fail criteria (perhaps Lindsay could shed some light on it eh? ;-) ).

The bottom line means that irrelevant of whether you are Pontious the Pilot himself or the most charismatic man in the Fifedom if the computer say 'No' the HR mafia won't let you through to the next round.

Do I agree with such a system? Perhaps not, I was once offered a job after a walk around and a coffee but that was a long time ago in a world where lots of people knew who the others in the industry were. Perhaps understandably the HR department use the system as a filter to cut down on the workload at day 2. However the system DOES work for the company and the 'product' the system delivers is excellent. You must remember that a 10,000+ hour Captain from an airline will have the same process as a 3,000 hour military Captain and a 500 hour 'self improver'. It is a difficult juggling act.

Far from perfect but it's what the world is coming to and it seems what is necessary.

p.s. A few of my mates have failed BA interview, good guys all of them. It's just the way it happens on the day I'm afraid.

p.p.s I have it on good authority that human intervention is made in all cases and all day 1 assessments are checked over by the recruiting team before the final decision is made!

Last edited by Wirbelsturm; 15th Oct 2014 at 09:32. Reason: poor wording and possible mis-interpretation!