PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Casey Airfield Berwick 1953
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2014, 14:51
StallsandSpins

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ocean Person,

lt must have been quite the tongue lashing if it has stayed with you this long and for this i offer you my most sincere apologies. But I imagine even today the VMFG might get a bit upset if i landed unannounced (in a tiger with no radios) into the middle of their glider operations at Bacchus Marsh.

I don't really know that much about the Casey's or The history of the airfield prior to about 1965 when my old Grandad Col Hatfield took over running the place. It was Hatfield who decided to call the airfield Casey (I think he was friends with lord Casey through his involvement with the VMFG at the time).

It's a shame you never came back you would have received a much warmer reception "haut monde elitism " is not the place i knew...

Anyway here's a photo of the aforementioned cessna 180 RGC with Col Hatfield taken out front of the clubhouse at Casey sometime in the early 90's it had long since left Casey but the then owner used to fly in often for a coffee and hamburger.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a picture of the Casey hangar on the far right.
I guess it isn't much but the hard working volunteers at the Moorabbin Air Museum deemed it worthy of preservation. Maybe it should be renamed Colonel Hatfield's Hangar as his Leopard Moth UUL spent more time in there than any other aircraft. Any way its not about the hangar it just a suitable place for a bbq and piss up.

[IMG][/IMG]

And another of Casey taken in the mid 80's

[IMG][/IMG]

If you can can make it down on the 22 nov ocean person i'll see to it that you get the coffee and sandwich you came looking for all those years ago

Last edited by StallsandSpins; 18th Oct 2014 at 07:33.