PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I change flight school 37hrs into training?
Old 12th Oct 2014, 12:00
Wingman1972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE!!!

Hi everyone
i firstly want to say i am so blown away from the response from you all and thank you al so much for your help and advice it has helped me make the right decision i am sure,
special thanks to GQ, ST, SSD, Corsican, world pilot thank you everyone

firstly i want to admit i made an error in calculating my hours, i had only done 29 hrs supervised and 2.5 solo, the solo was circuit consolodatioin,

i have been very busy since though,

i firstrly had my little test to fly ten miles out of the circuit and show i could handle the pa28 there and back joining the ciorcuit albeit a bit scruffy but got there all good with rx to air field etc
then my next lesson was to go twice the distanced, this too went without any hiccups
then my big day which i have to say was a very exciting day i got to do my first land away, i flew 20 miles to land, had a quick cup of sweet tea for shock lol, then quick transit check and headed back, all went well i even recorded the flight on my i phone using sky demon, (sky demon is amazing helpful tool)
i have to say this for me was the best part so far of my training, all the hard work we had all put in had paid off
with regards to moving school i took a long hard look at my options and also spoke with my instructor who told it to me streight,
i agree with what a lot of you said and sat down and talked to him and explained my concerns and eg weather about to change etc,
i now have a great FI with whom i had flown with breifly before, i also have a CFI who has been flying for over 35 years which is awsome too the wealth of experiance from these guys is so valuable
its horses for courses really,
i now know what happened i panicked as i thought i was not getting anywhere and my instructor leaving might put me back,
but really its down to the stude to put the effort in and talk to people,
if anyone is thinking about training i would strongly recomend just getting stuck in, ask for more than one FI,CFI and go for it, my circumstances with work/family life commitments really hampered my progress, but it can be done,
i am now doing VOR's IMC/s
my next sorte is to do a 97 mile XC, with one basic two basic services needed, and three MATZ penetrations, this was planned for yesterday but we decided against it due to bad weather and MATZ closed etc, (we done more VOR's instead)
i know the weather is going to hamper my training slightly but im sure if i stay focused and determined it will be ok
i have fell in love with flying more and more as time as gone on and i still have to pinch myself to believe i am doing this,
i am even dreaming VOR's at night at the moment as i am so determined to now learn as much as popssible, the learning will never end im sure, as some of you have said
the training is life saving skills, we will never know if we will one day have to do a real PFL, (my instructor had to do one for real on a trial flight only two weeks ago!!! he had engine failure)
at the end of the training i am hoping to join a small syndicate, and just enjoy getting in the air as much as possible and learn even more about myself and flying and the ultimate goal would be to do my night rating, imc, CPL and maybe get a carreer in flying, who knows where it will lead?? Suzi Air?? now that would be awsome, but i think a while yet lol
anyway enough babbling from me lol
Thank you all so much for helping me make the right decision, and i hope this will help others to make the right decision if thinking about PPL, it really is down to the individual how they chose to do the PPL, in my case i strung it out and should have just got on with it sooner, my instructor leaving just gave me the kick up the ass i needed,
up up and at it, i will come back and let you know how my XC goes when the weather permits