PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Wage
Thread: Minimum Wage
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2003, 22:26
Louie the Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are all good points.
But, as has been mentioned, what is being done about it?
If pilots and the industry in general aren't cohesive enough to get something done, then isn't it time to build some cohesion?

One of my housemates is a professional rock muso. As with pilots, he's doing it for the love of what he does.
He works his @rse off for little reward, and when he's not out rehearsing, playing gigs, writing songs, recording, and networking to get airplay on any radio station he can find, he's being abused as a dole bludger (he is lucky to make $50 a gig).

But I've seen through him and his bandmates what can be done.

Currently in Melbourne if only one person makes a complaint against the level of noise at a pub, the council can shut down the venue (I've simplified this a little). So venues are cutting back on the bands they book. This effectively kills any chance to get a paid gig.

When one of the main venues came under this kind of pressure, they started walking around with a petition. One of the bandmembers started talking to journos. Everybody talked about it to whoever they could. It took lots of work, and plenty of cohesion between different people in the music industry, who don't always see eye-to-eye, but their photocopied petition took them from small article in the local music press, to a bigger article, to an article in the Sunday Times, and another larger article in The Age. This all started only a month or two ago.

On Tuesday they are having a public meeting at Trades Hall in Melbourne, with the possibility of TV coverage, and other interviews. There will be musos, public supporters, union officials, and politicians.

It just goes to show that with a little unity, and a lot of dedication a cause can get noticed.

It wouldn't take much to get "A Current Affair" on the case - "Pilot's living on dog food, and being paid less than a cleaner".

When I was on uni holidays I worked as a cleaner. One week I took home $900 clear. That was back in 1991.
As a telephone sales consultant (telemarketer - I was between jobs, and didn't want the dole) I made $500 a week clear with minimal responsibility. I didn't have any experience, and minimal training. I certainly hadn't invested in the region of $40,000 in my own training.

I think it's fair to be paid fairly, and if pilots stuck together on this one, I think it would have to happen.

Also, I think if people outside of GA, the general public, knew what was going on, they'd be in full support. When I tell my friends what's going on, they can't believe this kind of thing is still happening, and they think I'm crazy for getting into aviation.

Has anyone talked to the unions about this? Maybe meetings should be organised around the country.

I like the idea of union applications being passed around at flying schools, I'd sign up right now, but it wouldn't get anywhere without numbers. The more the merrier.