PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How is moncton flight college?
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2014, 13:21
canuck51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When choosing a flight school, you would be surprised at to what is important, and what is unimportant.

Flashy websites and shiny buildings don't matter. In fact, they are probably the least important consideration.

Similarly, the aircraft don't matter much, either. Could be high wing, could be low wing. Could be old or new. Could be metal or plastic. Doesn't make the least bit of difference, as long as the maintenance is on the ball.

What does matter is the quality of instruction, and the character of the people running the school. If you get a good instructor, and there are moral and ethical people running the school, you will have a good experience. Not a whole lot else matters, really.

A secondary consideration is weather. You would like someplace that has a LOT of VFR weather. A prime example of where NOT to go would be Sault St Marie, or pretty much the entire east coast of Canada. Lots of challenging weather there, which is good if you want to practice illegal 0/0 approaches, but not good for a student just starting out.

A tertiary consideration is temperature. I personally like +20C better than -20C, but that's subjective. Lots of people in Canada think -20C is shorts wx.

Hope this helps. I don't know as much about aviation as say the "golden arm" mods at AvCan, but I try.