PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC or CAEOAA
Thread: CTC or CAEOAA
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2014, 14:56
LastMinuteChanges

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the comments from john_smith regarding this, 'CAVOK' weather and the decision making process involved with the IR is irrelevant. For what it's worth, I learnt more about decision making skills in my first week of line flying across Europe (i.e. in an airline) than I did in eighteen months of flight school.

Pick an integrated school, keep your head down, have a good time, pass everything first time and focus on building those connections to help you obtain that first job in the right seat of a medium jet, or whatever it is you may wish to pursue.

'No decision making...' What does that mean? Flying VFR your decisions tend to be fairly limited anyway. You will learn all about decision making when you go on to the AQC/JOC, type rating and finally line training and line flying. What you learn in the basic phase (up to the IR) are basic flying skills which (apart from the IFR phase) have little relevance to airline flying. Gaining a CPL and single pilot IR are just hoops that you have to jump through, and hopefully have a bit of fun doing.

All of this is to say that your goal, if you go to CTC or OAA, should be to get through as quickly as possible, with the minimum amount of fuss, preferably with first time passes. Don't concern yourself with whether the met will provide you with adequete experience of 'making decisions' because when you make it to the airline, such experience is completely irrelevant, and quickly superceded.