PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Wage
Thread: Minimum Wage
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2003, 04:32
Rich-Fine-Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mshongo:

I dont think you can ever stop the will work for less pay situation. People think getting that first job is to difficult, but is it. I dont know anyone who was persistent that didnt get on somewhere within 18 months (and thats at an award paying job).

I/WE agree, almost all get a position by waiting. But in the meantime, quite a number will work for nix to keep current or build up time to get that prize position.

To start with why dont we get the moderator to conduct a survey of this forum. This'll give you something to go on when contacting the AFAP or ANU when getting them to enforce the current award or renegotiate it.

Mshongo, all due respect but once again, moderators, polls, awards, renegotiation all sounds very nice and positive but will all count for nothing when a large percentage of Pilots (usually the lower time ones) are not willing to support their peers in action.

Example: Transition Layer mentioned teacher parents actions for conditions. Their conditions are successful because the VAST 99.9% majority of teachers act as a group.

I can not see 99% solidary amoung the GA pilot industry.

When I stop seeing Pilot CV's that offer to work for free or low pay - thats when I think the industry can change.

Until then, I see G.A. moving more towards the rest of the world. I.E. Paying for ICUS becoming more common. USA style pay rates for Instructors ($5-$10 per flight hour). Esp. if CASA moves towards a UK style PPL Instructor Rating!.

So then, I would be more interested in seeing the results of a poll that reads:

'Do you support the idea of a Pilot Union and/or supporting the total strict enforcement of the Pilots award, even if it means:
You may never get a job, may have to wait 18 months for a job after completion of a CPL or have reduced options for gaining hours for an Airline position and therefore face a future career - no higher than G.A.'. YES/NO.