PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHFNI Stories!
Thread: SHFNI Stories!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2014, 14:23
UniformNovemberIndia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I’m a new member here and only registered to comment on this thread which I came across through Google, whilst researching FOBs and barracks*. I’m a civilian who grew up in S. Aramgh, meaning no disrespect whatsoever I’m probably young (26) by comparison to some of the veteran servicemen who have posted here. Before I go on I'd like to say thanks to all of you for your service.

I grew up ~4-5 miles from Glenanne in a small town land near Mowhan, and we lived ½ mile from a large field which some of you fine pilots occasionally landed in to either drop off or lift foot patrols. Later, when we moved in the early 00’s, I watched and listened to many a take-off and descent into Drumadd as our elevated position looks directly across at the back of the hill which the barracks site is behind.

It’s been fascinating to read this thread and hear some of the stories that have been shared about your time serving here, as well as seeing some brilliant photos. Particularly impressed by the contributions made by Phamous; some of those shots are both historically fascinating and technically excellent! I’m glad to read that it wasn’t all doom and gloom for you guys during tours on the Emerald Isle, despite the seriousness of the conflict outside the OP walls.

I have very little military background; Dad was UDR reserve, stationed at Glenanne through the 70’s and I had a couple of uncles in the RUC, one of whom sadly did not survive the troubles, being shot in Armagh whilst off duty.
I had a few questions which I’m hoping someone wouldn’t mind answering. I apologize in advance for the apparent stupidity of them; I’m simply not familiar with some of the terms you guys have used throughout the thread, mainly in reference to locations, and curiosity has got the better of me.

• First and foremost, what does SHFNI stand for?
  • TSW?
  • TWA?
  • Ally Pally? (I’m assuming a location nicknamed for Alexandra Palace but obviously don’t know where)
  • Where is R850? I presume Bessbrook Mill from some comments and photos here but am not sure.
  • V813?
  • Y453?
  • Helidet?

There were others I wanted to ask about as well, but I've forgotten them in the process of registering!

*What got me interested in this was seeing that Drumadd has recently been re-developed as Armagh Business Park. I do some work for businesses in the adjacent Hamiltonsbawn Rd Ind Estate and took a drive through Drumadd recently after a site visit. Despite having been a civvy guest on the SAT range up there a couple of nights when I was younger, it’s interesting to see the “other side of the fence” in daylight and have a chance to drive round the surviving buildings. They have made industrial units and dwellings out of everything from the electrical house to the vehicle shed! The (big green) hangar is still fenced off though, despite the developer having bought the whole site. I wonder if they’re keeping it for themselves, to use as equipment/vehicle storage or something along those lines. I’m actually giving some thought to renting a unit at Drumadd to build a bigger workshop & store in. I’m a freelance Electronic Engineer, and have completely outgrown my <200’ sq space at home!

Last edited by UniformNovemberIndia; 2nd Oct 2014 at 18:42.