PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 2nd Oct 2014, 02:37
Sonic69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"ts been quiet.... even with many people throwing money at staa, cae, sfc on private pathway

does anyone can provide me with further insight or you know or heard on some of my doubts

how are our local 9v carriers receptive to self sponsored private cp, more specifically are those people who recruit for these airlines even open to take the private cpl from staa sfc cae. hows is the scene these 2 years?

how about a private cpl after 35yrs old like from 35-38yrs old... near to impossible to have a chance to land a job in 9v? how many cases do u known such miracle happened recently? i only heard one or two"

Wow a revival of the thread! hehe
Glad to see people still researching this topic. The answer to your first question is yes local carriers are hiring from STAA and SFC self-sponsored. To my knowledge most people have found jobs, its just a matter of time. However, these jobs were attained through individual effort. Don't expect the school to do anything for you. They do next to nothing to help you. Getting the CPL is relatively easy. You may not think so as you are going through the training, but once you start looking for your first flying job you'll think the training part was a piece of cake.
We are well positioned in the growing aviation market of Greater Asia. There will continue to be expansion of airlines in this region for the next few years barring any unforeseen catastrophic setbacks.

To answer your 2nd question, I was 36 yo when I made the decision to pursue my dream. I guess maybe its me that you heard about . I'm on the wrong side of 40 now and am flying B737 on 9V. Previously 2 years experience on A320. You can guess the airline. Too easy! So, if 1 person can do it, why not others?
I have another friend that is same age as me now training on A320 on 9V also. He started after I did due to family commitments, but finally took the plunge head on. So that's 2 examples already. I'm sure there must be others but I don't know them personally.
When I made the decision I knew that I had a window of opportunity because of the expansion plans of airlines in this region. No licence, no job. Simple as that. That window of opportunity is still open from my point of view. Plus, today there are many more opportunities than when I started. You could try for Jetstar Cadet, Tiger Cadet, MPL licence, STAA CPL, SFC Private Cadets, Qatar Cadet etc. During my time, there was only SFC offering CAAS CPL. It was make or break.
I guess I'm trying to encourage people to go for the dream if that's what they want. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Of course there is risk involved and not many people will actually go for it after considering their circumstances. But for those of us that get the payoff after the blood sweat and tears, its a mucho sweet ride piloting a metal cylinder through the air at FL400.

Live the Dream and Happy Landings!