PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Wage
Thread: Minimum Wage
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2003, 18:54
Transition Layer

Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts
Amen Y0SSARIAN!

Just a few points from a rather inexperienced GA driver...

Firstly, there are far too many pilots being paid less than award (thankfully never been one of them). Secondly, the award itself is probably about 15-20% lower than what it should be, at all levels from single engine up to multi-crew turbine.

The problems can themselves be divided into two and must be treated and dealt with separately, however a Union would be the best way to go about solving them both.

The first problem is intolerable, but as has been mentioned earlier it is a common part of the industry due to the sheer cut-throat nature of it all. There needs to be a common ground for everyone to stand on before we can argue that the award itself is too low, hence the problem of not being paid the award must be dealt with firstly.

Union membership is clearly the way to go - perhaps in that excited moment when you fill out your CPL application form, you are also handed a Union Membership form. Charge an initial sign-up fee (doesn't have to be huge) then only charge the members once they are gainfully employed? That way out of work pilots wouldn't have to pay for their services, but would do so once they are employed - hell, it's even a tax deduction. I don't know a great deal about the running costs involved with the ALPA so perhaps I am being unrealistic with this idea - someone please bring me into line if needs be. Obviosuly Union Membership would never go close to the 100% mark, but how many of you out there have ever been encouraged to join, either whilst training or once employed?

The second problem of a lower than acceptable award wage only really occurred to me today when I was offered a (non-flying) job relating to office administration/data entry and menial tasks like that. For a Mon-Fri 9-5 job requiring no experience/qualifications whatsoever they are paying around $30,500/annum with a 5% pay rise to come on July 1. Sure, it's as boring as hell, doesn't even come close to the pleasure and satisfaction of flying and no doubt i will be pulling my hair out soon, but i needed something to keep me going for a while.

Now we all know that is more than the GA single engine award, for far less responsibility and no training other than a few days on-the-job. Obviously progression and the subsequent higher salary aren't exactly attainable in this (non-flying) position, but then again, relating it back to aviation only a select few in our industry reach the major airlines and the healthy salaries that go with it.

Casual positions will always be a tough one - sure, you are worth the $30 odd/hr you get whilst flying, but none of us are worth that on the ground! Then again, we are also not free labour, so as has been suggested a lower hourly rate (maybe $10/hr) for aircraft washing, office work and other jobs which are an accepted part of a GA position should be considered.

I guess what i'm saying is that a stronger, more vocal and active Union will have to come together before we can put forward a strong argument about what we deserve and what we are worth. I will proudly say I am not currently a Union member because in the past I saw it as futile when the rest of the guys sharing the skies and the jobs with me weren't part of the same team. After today's episode making me realise how much we are getting shafted and what we are potentially worth, I am much more passionate about it all.

If anyone thinks I'm getting a bit too much like a chanting protester at one of those Union protests, you can probably blame my upbringing - a house of two teachers for parents always striving with their co-workers for better wages and conditions.

Looking forward to any constructive (or destructive!) criticism.

Cheers,
TL