PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do schools teach people to be pilots?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2014, 04:06
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it's the school's responsibility.
I think it's the student's.
This is key. The student is the client. The client dictates the service. Now, of course there are licenses and regulations which you may choose to follow, but you can do less, meet the minimums, or specify more.

When I trained for my helicopter license, I deliberately trained to not achieve a helicopter PPL for a few years - for what I wanted to do with a helicopter, a PPL in one was a liability, not an asset. The school and I agreed, and I was a student for years, happily taking the training I specified (which went way beyond the minimums in some cases), but I did not finish the license for years. Finally, it was foolish not to, and I did, but I have not flown a helicopter solo since - hence my wanting to remain a protracted student.

The student can say "just train me to pass the tests", or they can say please train me to fly ........ [type pf aircraft, type of maneuvers, type of operations.]. I was type training a new owner in his 182 amphibian a few weeks ago in Norway. He told me what he wanted for training. I did that training, as asked, and filled out around the edges of the subjects. He is a PPL, and flies fine. He flies better now.

Students, you tell the school/club what you want to achieve. If it's "just the license" than that's about what you'll get, and then you can continue to work toward being a pilot from there....