PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Wage
Thread: Minimum Wage
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2003, 17:29
Mshongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i was stranded in the desert wastelands i'd be following Y0SSARIAN.

Do you think you work for an employer whom makes more then his fare share?. Do feel insecure about asking the boss for your award, which is due you by law?. I suggest you join & lobby http://www.afap.org.au/ . Lord knows theres enough of you claiming to be underpaid to form a pressure group. Try sending them a copy of your payslip and a copy of your bank statements showing employer deposits. If your not being paid correctly then its quite clear a criminal act is occuring. Tell the union that you want to remain anonymous out of fear for your job and reputation.
Definetly tis true that the federal gov has a different perspective on employee rights, but does your local member?, which ticket did they run on?. If your state gov is labour oriented then contact the relevant people, they may have more power to command a local buisness then the fed gov.

Who sets the award? good question i thought, anyone know? i'd hazard a guess its a previous fed gov in consultation with the ANU. Why doesnt someone get intouch with the ANU and state your case why you believe the GA pilot award needs to be altered.

Anyway, it's not very realistic to do the dirty work yourself so have the union flex their muscle....think they dont have any....then ask yourself for instance why aussie pilots get 6 weeks annual leave (those of you working public holidays, ie most of you) and those in the USA get 56 hours paid annual leave (generally increases at a huge 8 hours per year worked with the company, across the board no matter what occupation). If the pilots union isnt any help then try your sea-faring mates in the maritime union.

Just one last thought on the current award of 28k. You think $30 per hour is a fair rate (i do)? then that gives you 27k for your 900 hrs max (is anyone flying it?), before tax. I think you'll find were your getting shafted is all the hours you spend pushing a broom, answering a phone, on your back scrubbing in general. Maybe you should be logging those hours aswell and asking the $8/hr unskilled labour its worth (or getting the union to on your behalf).
Oh and have them pay for your headset too damn it, its required for a safe work place!, so is 2 engines!, turbines at that! and a bulletproof cockpit door.