PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HOUSING
Thread: HOUSING
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2014, 06:43
McNugget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChinaBeached

You, in a self-righteous way, do make some valid points. At the same time, you come out with some real drivel. I'm not going to pick your post apart point by point, as you seem to enjoy doing.

What I will say, is that despite the bulk of your rants being emotive rubbish, I do agree with some of what you say, but ultimately, we took an offer that was the best available at the time. Just like others did before they got to what they consider to be their career airlines.

It came with a great lifestyle, great roster, good experiences, and an upgrade in short order (in the grand scheme of things) to a position as a wide body long-haul pilot. Then, you're well placed to move on if you so wish. No different in concept to the way you built experience, flying GA/contract/regional etc. before committing to your career airline. Just like your experience building, it may not have the terms and conditions to be a career outfit, but it was better than what else was on offer as a low-hours pilot back home. Such is life. US$85k as a year one SO is a lot better than most starter jobs, and getting US$100k as a lump sum to retain me until about the time I am marketable elsewhere was a nice kicker, too. So, you tell me who's the fool for taking it on the way up?

Get over the fact that it didn't work out for you. Claiming that we are responsible for the downward pressure on expat conditions is nothing short of hysteria. The fact is that B scale pilots let it happen. There is no two ways about it. Those at the bottom of the ladder will do what they need to - take poor jobs, take uncertain jobs, take badly paid jobs, et al to get the experience necessary to move on. Those at the 'top' of the ladder, ie. those in career positions are the ones responsible for protecting their conditions. Not those on the outside.

I'm eager for more housing. I will almost certainly stay if that becomes more reasonable. However, I don't consider my conditions to be poor in comparison to the rest of the industry. Inadequate housing, indeed. But, I will soon be a QL'd FO, my package will be around six figures per month in HKD, averaged over the year. Housing aside, anyone in the industry would agree that such a package is a very competitive one financially. So, it seems, in most respects, C-scale is a better job than most out there, particularly when you consider one could be in that position less than four years after starting, and still be in their early twenties. Again, as an experience building job, which will make you very marketable in the future, I will strongly disagree with anyone who says it isn't a great stepping stone at least. Let's face it, most 'career' destinations will offer a pretty heavy pay cut for a QL'd FO. You'll have a bigger house back home, I agree.

I assume now, that you're going to go on about how we should all be flying BE-200s on non-precision approaches etc. to build experience. That would be great, I'd love to do it. But, the market has spoken, and nobody cares or values such experience anymore. It's sad, but airlines want folks with airline experience. International ops, type-ratings, all the academic/procedural background that goes with it. This has taken precedence over physical flying ability. I suppose you think that's our fault, too.

So, much as most of us would like to do the low-paid GA fun flying for a while, we're not stupid enough to do so at the expense of our careers. For those that wish to leave when they can, this is their golden ticket. BE-200 time doesn't cut it anymore; we have to do what it takes to ensure the success of our careers. Not sure if you're up to date with the EU market right now, but sadly even Q400 captains can't get a look-in with jet operators for the most part. It's disgusting, I agree, but you've got to do what it takes. Times are very different to even 5 years ago.

Before you lambast me with your emotive presumptions, because you seem to care so much - I joined with experience, I have 3 properties, and my watch collection comprises of 8 pieces, all of which far better (and, as it happens at least twice the price of) than the tacky, tinny Breitling Aerospace quartz powered heap that folks like you show up to work with. Such a pleasure to wear when you earn the privilege to afford to do so.