PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing/conditions, and progression beyond
Old 27th Sep 2014, 18:53
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I know a lot of FIs who have now been instructing four plus years full time and not moved on to anything.

On average as a PPL instructor you are going to get paid 15 to 20 pounds per hour flight pay and more than likely little or no retainer.

At the busiest Schools around London I do know some that are flying 700 plus hours a year, other places full time instructors may only be getting 300 or so hours a year. At 20 per hour flight pay you do the figures.

I would not recommend anyone to instruct full time, part time instruct and use the full time job to provide funds to do some more varied and challenging flying (twin time, touring in high performance singles). The only reason for a short spell of full time instructing is useful is to stand a chance of getting the Restriction lifted in a reasonable time frame.
Instructing can develop certain skills at the same time PPL level instructing can also be quite limited experience.

Bear in mind to actually make a living instructing you really need to be doing MEP and IR instructing, the cost of gaining the 30 hours P1 multi, the MEI upgrade and the IRI upgrade will soon mount up to the region of £10,000.

The one flaw in your plan doing and IR and MCC when an opportunity presents it self. When an opportunity does presents itself you need to be ready to go immediately they often wont have six weeks to wait for you to do an IR, a more sensible approach would be to set yourself an hours milestone at which to do the IR (ie: at 700 hours or 1000 hours total time).

Last edited by portsharbourflyer; 27th Sep 2014 at 21:38.