PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MOD announces RAF Tornados in air on way to Iraq.
Old 27th Sep 2014, 15:16
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Barnstormer,

There is a principle at stake here, it's called OPSEC. We have a whole JSP devoted to security, shame the MOD sees fit to ignore it when they feel like it.

PN has it spot on, and this was a major problem we had to contend with in AFG with dickers sitting outside the wire watching everything we did send reporting it. Now in this case, I'll grant you, the operational impact is likely to be minimal, but that isn't the point and next time people might not be so lucky and whoever decided this was a good idea has demonstrated poor judgement.

So some gobby media type in MOD has decided a good headline trumps OPSEC. Where does it stop? I've seen people dragged up on charges for less serious security breaches - because this is what this is. Hitler knew we were coming, didn't mean we had to help him with video footage of preparations and the fleet launching. If they wanted to do something, they should have repeated 'I counted them out and back' once it was over. Fuming doesn't come close!