PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orthodox Jews create chaos on El Al flight before leaving New York
Old 26th Sep 2014, 10:51
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was on a flight with Tunisair, from Tunis to London, in the days when there was a large and totally tolerated Jewish community in Tunisia.

In the row behind me, 3 orthodox Jews from this community spent the whole flight loudly chanting and nodding their heads back and forth.

This in-your-face behaviour raised some wry eyebrows among the many Muslims on the flight; my Muslim neighbour just remarked "Ah well, it's what they do."

After about half an hour of it, I turned and asked them to be quieter. I was the only person to protest in any way. They did not pause, and merely turned up the volume. My neighbour murmured "I could have told you that would happen; best leave it".

To be clear, I would have felt and done the same with anyone behaving like that, whether Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, Cargo Cult, Hindus, Mormons or worshippers of any other Gods. The loud chanting was the problem, not their race or religion. But orthodox Jews do seem to be particularly uncaring about behaving outrageously in the name of whatever God they adhere to.