PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC or CAEOAA
Thread: CTC or CAEOAA
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2014, 04:11
Pushkovinator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello there!

I am in the same boat as you where in the near future, I will be applying to either CTC or OAA (or both).

In a quest to find which FTO I would feel would be a better fit for me, I thought it would be a great idea to visit both Flight Academies and speak with some instructors, current students, and also get a general opinion on their facilities.

This past April, while on a trip to the UK, I had the chance of having a tour around CTC's training facility at Bournemouth Airport, and also visiting Oxford's "Airline Pilot Career Day". I personally feel that in order to truly get an impression on which school you would like to attend, a visit would be a top priority as I gained a lot of information from my visits to both schools!

An important note to keep in mind while deciding on which flight school to attend is that both Academies offer top-notch and highly regarded training for future pilots, meaning that there will not be a "wrong" choice as upon completion of either Integrated ATPL program, all successful cadets will finish with a f-ATPL, possible interviews with airlines, and a reputation behind the FTO that you completed your training with.

After my visit to both Flight Academies, here is a brief list of some of the benefits of attending either school:

CTC Wings

-A fleet of (relatively) new and reliable Diamond aircraft, most of which are equipped with G1000 avionics (Newer DA-40's based in Phoenix and all DA-42 Twinstars).
-Accommodation is provided at all stages of training(which is shared between 3 other course-mates), including housing in the UK (Southampton and Bournemouth), Phoenix, and Hamilton in New Zealand.
-A choice (Depending on demand Vs. space available and start of course date) between completing the Basic and Intermediate flight training stages in either Phoenix, Arizona or Hamilton, New Zealand.

Oxford Aviation Academy

-CAE Oxford has recently ordered a brand new fleet of 35 Piper Aircraft in a five year program to replace aging Piper Archers/Warriors/Senecas.
-All phases of training are located at a maximum of two Airports, including London-Oxford Airport and Falcon Field Airport in Arizona (Helps with familiarizing aerodrome-specific procedures).
-Accommodation provided in Advanced stages of training in Arizona, however accommodation is limited back in the UK and is based on a first come-first serve basis, resulting in many cadets that do not locally live in Oxford having to rent out flats located close to the airport.

All in all both Flight Training Organizations are some of the best training that is offered around the world, and with highly regarded reputations, you cannot go wrong with selecting either academy.

Lastly, I cannot stress how important it is to take time to visit both FTO's and talk to the instructors/cadets and have a tour of their facilities as this has also helped me in leaning towards one over the other. It will greatly help you in deciding which FTO to ultimately complete your training with. Good luck!
If you want any further information, feel free to private-message me :-)

Kindest Regards