PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FLYBE in to the black,but at what cost !!
Old 17th May 2003, 21:23
Raw Data

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, civilised responses... whatever is happening to PPRuNe...

JazzyKex (cool username BTW)

I'm obviously not overjoyed at what is happening at EDI, however having positioned to BHX about a zillion times in the last few weeks, I have noticed that all the flights I have been on (mostly in the middle of the day) have been full or very close to it. It seems to me that EDI-BHX is close to being ready for a jet.

I do agree, many people are pretty disillusioned at the moment. I am only upbeat because the company as a whole is on the up-and-up; the world does not revolve around my problems. A strong company ultimately benefits us all (or those of us who choose to stay). Many will stay, for a variety of reasons- for example not everybody want to work to FTL limits, get shafted w.r.t. bases etc.

bakedbean

You might think we are going to a single fleet- I have no idea why you think that, when we clearly need a 100+ seat aircraft for the routes we operate and the number of pax we carry on many of those routes. I suppose it is possible that all the directors have lied to us, that the people tasked with identifying a new type are actually just reading the paper all day, and that we don't intend to grow as a company. But I think not.

Yes we have lost a contract, but we have also picked up a lot of very lucrative work (for example some of the new charters).

Push to talk

Most pilots like to investigate new options, I'm no different... If you had ever lived in NZ, you would understand...

People will always move on from airlines like flybe, most want to advance and of course if you are ambitious you need to have a Boeing or an Airbus on your licence. It has always been this way.

Easy has taken quite a few of our guys and gals, no surprise there as the equipment is better and the pay higher. Having said that, in the last few months we have also had a few wanting to return to flybe from Easy. Some have realised that despite the pay and equipment, there are times when the workload and other issues are not worth it. Easy is no paradise.

I agree though, that communication from our senior management is a serious problem. It has always been so, however a few of us have been vocal about it and hopefully it will change. FWIW, I have had a visit on the flight deck from our MD, but I assume he prefers not to in the current climate... I can also say that communication is a two-way street, most pilots sit in small groups and talk up a storm, but few actually pick up the phone and speak with a manager.

pitotheat

Would you want to fly a Q400...!!!

It might be a wonderful money-making tool, but from a pilots point of view... no thanks.

I think my point is that as long as I am in the company, I will support it as much as I can. It is actually a very good company- despite the bad press, we do treat our people pretty well... for example sticking by pilots with long-term medical problems rather than just ditching them. Most of it is not seen by most folk, but from many points of view, flybe is an excellent company. There are some obvious blind spots, but that is true for any company.

If and when I leave, it won't be because I don't like the company; more to do with other aspects of life.

If I didn't like the company, or where it is going, I would leave as soon as I could. So should anyone who has a problem with flybe, for their sake as much as for the company.

In the meantime, I will unashamedly support the company that pays my salary (whilst fighting hard to change some of the internal frustrations).

And if all that stuff makes you want to vomit... sorry! (not).