PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH17 down near Donetsk
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2014, 16:19
GSOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@anonymousdefender

You constantly claim that the TELAR was in the autonomous mode pointing to the lack of mentions about the acquisition radar 9S18 in the Russian MoD's briefing. And that briefing is anything but convincing. It's purpose is to show we know something unpleasant for you. That is why all that 'hoolabulling' in the western media subsided. It is a political thing so any conclusions inferring from that briefing are fragile.

FYI Russia since Soviet times has at area ATC centers 2(two) parts called sectors. The civilian one and the military one. What the military sector can see the civilian one may not. The video was from the screen of civilian sector of Rostov center. And it was clearly stated on the briefing (in Russian... i didn't follow for the English translator) 'Rostov area center of United System of Air Traffic Control'. This 'United System' is NOT the air defense (though they are integrated).

Quote:
the crew are accustomed to track civilian planes as a routine exercise.

SA-11 cannot track civilian planes as routine since 9S35M1 have 120 degree segment in search mode
But it can acquire and track military ones. Something contradictory in you view about TELAR. I think you missed the word 'exercise' in my statement you answered to.

Il-76 have 750-850 cruise speed, very close to Boeing 900 km/h.
The Buk's operator sees the speed in exact numbers not as a bar in some computer games.

Why SA-11 must wait descending Il-76?
The trained crew would wait because they must have a notion about civilian air traffic.

Last edited by GSOB; 17th Sep 2014 at 16:30.