PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2014, 07:54
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I know it is still early days for some but is S15 going to be a consolidation year for medium/short haul?"

I think Viscount702 has raised a reasonable question based on what we know at present.

In terms of short/medium haul it is beginning to look as if growth next year is dependent on whether easyjet and Ryanair add to the schedules already loaded. And as Shed has intimated, this may well depend on availability of equipment or whether airlines continue to switch frames between bases.

Airlines, understandably, are keen to announce new routes but aren't going to highlight services being dropped or frequencies reduced. Jet 2 are a case in point. 3 or 4 new routes get the headlines but we wait to see if there are any further changes to schedules which currently show 2 French routes not bookable and reductions on several others.

Likewise on long haul with TCX. Great to have new routes to JFK & MIA, but in terms of growth, the gloss is taken off rather if the 3 Caribbean routes are not operating next year. Perhaps they will be reinstated but it doesn't look hopeful if, as Viscount suggests, slots have been switched to the new destinations.

There may be things in the pipeline of which we are not aware that could still make a significant impact. And some might contend that a couple of new prestigious long haul routes are more important to the airport than a couple of extra based aircraft from a lo-cost carrier even if the immediate stimulus to passenger numbers is less.

By no means wrist-slitting time Lax and I'm sure Viscount wasn't suggesting the picture is desperate for s2015. But it is not unfair to point out at this stage that not all the signs are pointing in an upward direction.